Episcopal Diocese of Virginia
The Episcopal Church »  |  The Diocese of Virginia



Little Fork Church, St. Mark's Parish, is
Culpeper County's only Colonial church. It was ordered into existence
in 1731 as a "chapel of ease" within the Little Fork between the
Rappahannock and Hazel Rivers by Governor Spotswood. The present
building was begun in 1773 and completed in 1776 at a cost of 30,000
pounds of tobacco. It is the third building at this location, two others
having been destroyed by fire around 1750 and 1770.

Little Fork's general design is similar to that of Bruton Parish Church
in Williamsburg, Virginia. The pulpit is positioned in the center of
the north wall and reflects the emphasis on the sermon as the dominant
action of worship in the eighteenth century. The pews are of low boxed
design, each with three bench seats and a draft stopping door. It is
assumed that in each pew the occupants provided a portable foot warmer.

Services at Little Fork ceased at the
onset of the Civil War. Early in the war, the church grounds were used
as a drill field by the "Little Fork Rangers", more correctly known as
Co. D 4th Virginia Cavalry. Later, Union troops quartered at the church
destroyed most of the interior furnishings for firewood in the cold
winter of 1863, leaving only the shell of the building and the reredos
on the east wall. Sometime after the war was over, a northern soldier
sent $100 to the church for the construction of new pews to replace
those vandalized for campfires. 

On the south lawn there is a monument to
commemorate the "Little Fork Rangers." At the dedication of the monument
in 1904, surviving members of the Rangers gathered once more. 

After the war, the church was lovingly
used by a Methodist congregation, except for an annual Episcopal service
each summer when members of St. Stephen?s in Culpeper would travel to
Rixeyville for the service and a picnic. A painstaking restoration was
undertaken in 1976; St. Stephen's was instrumental in this
accomplishment. Lt. General A.J. Boyle, USA (Retired), of the Culpeper
congregation, led the project and supervised the on-site work. Through
the financial, physical and spiritual assistance of many, the
restoration was completed in 1979. The church was reconsecrated on
October 20 of that year. In 1989, the worshipping congregation obtained
church status within the Diocese of Virginia.

By 1994, it was clear to all that a new
facility was needed to meet the growing needs of the congregation. A
Long Range Planning Committee was formed which, over time, resulted in
the planning and construction of a Parish Hall, which was dedicated in
June, 1999. 

The Rev. John Desaulniers, who was the
spiritual leader of the congregation as it was reconstituted, retired in
the summer of 1999. The Rev. Philip Morgan served the congregation
until 2003. 

In November 2003, Rev. Tom Hayes returned
to LFC as Priest-in-Charge. Tom grew up in Warrenton, Virginia and was
Assistant Rector at St. Stephens in Culpeper and Vicar at Little Fork
throughout 1982-1984.  Tom retired April 1, 2007. 

Little Fork Church joyfully
welcomed Reverend William E. Eberle April 1, 2008 as the newest
rector.   Bill and his wife Linda bring with them a deep committment to
ministry and mission.  Little Fork Church eagerly anticipates the great
opportunities that lay before us to share our faith and mission with all
those in our surrounding communities and to the next 200 years of
history at the Church in the Little Fork.