One of the greatest blessings of Little Fork Church is the gift of worshipping in a church building in which people have been seeking God, finding hope, and making connections for centuries. We are also blessed to have the 1776 Historic Preservation Foundation as a partner in maintaining out Historic Church building.
Yet, God does not call people and communities backward, but instead God calls us to discern how we are called to be a living congregation today and, as other generations did before us, leave a foundation for those who will worship at Little Fork long after we are gone.
Currently, our congregation is discerning how we are called to develop our church resources, especially our 16-acre property to serve as a place where people find respite for their souls, hope for their journeys, and peace.
The master plan is the first significant step in this process. The Master Plan Working Group is working with Julie Basic PLA, a landscape architect who has significant experience working with historic properties to:
- Articulate a set of guiding principles that we will use to develop our property.
- Consider a variety of possibilities for the development of the property that have been brainstormed.
- Collaborate with stakeholders – Congregation, Vestry, Burying Grounds, Preservation Foundation – to select and prioritize our programming and development priorities.
- Develop a site plan that will guide development over the next ten years.
Bishop Goff Supports Little Fork's Master Plan
In August, Rev. Stacy met with Bishop Goff and discussed Little Fork’s Master Plan process in detail and reviewed with her the vision for developing our land in a way that would serve our community and preserve the rural setting of our historic...
Native Americans At The Little Fork
THE CHURCH IN THE FORK: A History of Historic Little Fork Church records that in 1979 fifteen acres north and east of the historic core of the Church were acquired from the Seiter family. This property includes an unusual earthen mound. We know...
1773-1776 Labor For Little Fork Church Construction
The Little Fork Church was constructed over three years 1773-1776. The Church, in what was St. Mark’s Parish, was closely associated with the Germanna Settlement through the Rev. John Thompson.Given the extensive use of enslaved persons in Virg...
Master Plan - The Walking Trail
When we started the Master Plan process, one of our goals was use our land in service to the larger community. With this goal in mind, a walking trail was conceived as a place for people to exercise and as a place where we could share God’s lov...
Rector's Letter Monument Conversations
March 9, 2022 Little Fork Church Congregation and Friends, For the last several years, our congregation has been having formal and informal conversations about how to honor the enslaved people who built our church building and contextualize our...
Master Plan - Burying Ground - Julie Basic
The current Burying Ground at Little Fork Church is a fairly recent addition to the landscape. Begun in 1979, the Burying Ground was designed by Carlisle Butler, a Richmond-area landscape architect who specialized in cemetery design. His plan fo...
Master Plan - Glebes in Virginia - Julie Basic
St. Mark’s Parish was created by an Act of Assembly in 1730 and the first vestry installed in 1731. At the same time, the vestry also purchased land for a “glebe,” or a parcel of land purchased by the parish for use by its minister. In add...